When the ten-year term of Marcio Cypriano came to an end, the boardroom and media discussions speculated about his successors. During Cypriano’s time as president, the market value of Bradesco increased six folds to $30 billion. The incoming Bradesco president would have to keep up with the growth as well as take the bank to the next level. The two-people hinted to succeed Marcio Cypriano were Jose Luiz Acar Pedro, then President of Bradesco’s investment banking unit and Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi, then head of Bradesco Seguros.
Over the last seventy-four years, Bradesco bank has had only four presidents. Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi is the current and fourth president of the bank. In 2009, when he took over the helm, the bank had lost its position as the leading private bank to rival Itau Unibanco. Also, the prevailing economic conditions in Brazil at the period impacted negatively on the returns and profitability of companies in the financial sector. In fact, Credit Suisse predicted that the average return on equity of Bradesco would decrease by 2.1% to 21.3% in the close of 2009.
Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi has known no other employer in the course of his over forty-year career life. At a tender age, he started as a clerk in the Marilia agency of the bank before being transferred to the headquarters at Sao Paulo. Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi’s first executive role was in 1984 when he became the director of marketing at the bank. As head of marketing made significant transformations on the publicity and image of the bank. He also served in other capacities including President of the bank’s private pension business between 1992 to 1998 and executive vice president of Bradesco Seguros from 1999 to 2003. He served on the board between 1999 to 2005.
In 2003, he rose to President of Bradesco Seguros. Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi’s stellar performance as the head of the insurance business influenced his appointment as President. He led Bradesco Seguros to become the top insurer in Latin America and have a market share of 25%. Also, Bradesco Seguros revenue contribution to the total incomes increased by 10% to 35% since 2003. Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi role at Bradesco Seguros also earned recognition from other stakeholders making him receive two Insurance Personality of the Year Awards. He often shared his optimism on the future of the insurance field in Brazil stating its importance in maintaining social welfare.
As Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi began his term in 2009, the general expectation was that he would pursue strategies for growth and competitiveness. Analysts opined that his efforts would be towards reclaiming the number one spot in the banking rankings in the country. However, Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi stated in an interview that his primary goal was to ensure that the bank offered excellent products and services in all locations. As such, his strategies focused on improving internal efficiencies, pursuing organic growth, increasing as well as enhancing product and service offerings.
Within the first year in office, Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi introduced a corporate university that would basis for handling appointments and promotions for employees and executive. He regularly gathers executives to share knowledge, to exchange ideas and collect feedback that would help the company move to the next level.
One of his significant contributions to the companies that also earned him the Entrepreneur of the Year in Finance award was the acquisition of HBSC Brazilian subsidiary. The $5.2 billion transactions done in 2015, increased the Bradesco’s branch network, the number of account holders, investment portfolio, and the overall net worth. Also, the deal strengthened the market influence of Bradesco and narrowed the differences between the bank and Itau Unibanco.
In the coming years, more is expected from Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi even as Bradesco continues to grow.
Learn more about Luiz Carlos Trabuco Cappi: https://www.brasil247.com/pt/247/economia/321974/Trabuco-Bradesco-vai-privilegiar-“prata-da-casa”-em-escolha-de-presidente.htm
JiRe10 October 18, 2017
Posted In: Bank Expert